Thursday, October 4, 2018

Comfort Leads to Complacency


          What do you imagine when someone says the word “Comfort”? Are you picturing a pillowy sofa, wrapped in a comfy blanket, possibly eating your favorite food? Well, I am. That’s my picture of comfort, oh, did I mention that if it’s raining, it’s even better? It is, we all know that. Comfort, contentment, satisfaction, complacency. Wait, what? Complacency, did I just say that? Does that word fit in with all the others listed? Why yes, yes it does, and here’s why.

            What if I told you that your comfort level, is what is holding you back from fulfilling the purpose that God laid out for you before the foundation of time. Being complacent in your walk with Jesus, is a dream killer. Many times, we become complacent simply because, it feels good. We don’t have to exude any energy. Lets face it, we’re tired. Physically tired because we go and go and sometimes, admittedly I’m not even sure if I’m coming or going. We try our best to keep up with the Joneses, but what we don’t often know, is that the Joneses are up to their eyeballs in debt, or near the brink of destruction. But from a distance, we envy them. We try to match our lives with theirs, just to feel normal. Therefore, we become tired, then we get up and do it all again the next day. 

          Being tired is not a sin itself, but what if being tired results in you becoming complacent. You just want to get through the day, make another dollar, keep the peace in the family, and move on. Where is God in this scenario? Are you so comfortable that you don’t want to move to where God is? He’s over here, doing good things, He’s in the middle of the action, restoring families, feeding the hungry, healing marriages, bringing freedom to the captives, and where are you? Watching from a distance, because you’re not comfortable being around the homeless, the sick? Get ready, here it comes. Get out of your comfort zone! There, I said it. Not just to you, but to myself as well. It’s so easy to get attached to what we know, to what we’ve always been doing. 

          Well, my friend, The Word says, “Be alert, be present. I’m about to do something brand-new. It’s bursting out! Don’t you see it? There it is! I’m making a road through the desert,
rivers in the badlands.” (Isaiah 43:19)

          I don’t know about you, but I want to be a part of what God is doing. I’m tired of being “normal”. God didn't create me to be normal. I can picture it now, God and Jesus, in Heaven, working on making new people, thousands of years ago, then they come to me, and say, “Well, I don't know what to do with her? Should we give her something special, make her creative? Talented? No, no, let’s just make her normal.”.  What? Of course not! He said in His Word that we were not called to be normal, that we are called to be set apart, a royal priesthood. Don’t let complacency deter you from your calling. 

          Listen to what Peter says about it,  “But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God’s instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you—from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. Friends, this world is not your home, so don’t make yourselves cozy in it. Don’t indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.
(1 Peter 2: 9-11)


No comments:

Post a Comment